Thursday, November 13, 2008

NEW PIANO!

So I finally bought a piano! Having been inspired by Tommy's sisters who found old pianos for less than $300 and fixed them up beautifully, I have been on the lookout. For two months I have been checking craigslist and other places for old 60's and 70's pianos that were running mostly from about $400-$900. After playing a few of them I was starting to get discouraged, though, until I found this 1988 Kimball piano selling for only $200! And it plays great! After getting it home (Thank you to Tommy, his Dad, and the Elders for moving this thing for me!!!) I debated what to do with it, because the wood was in great shape and really didn't need any touch ups, but I really didn't like the color. Very much an 80's church piano. So after talking to a professional piano repairman who told me that painting it would have absolutely no effect on its tone, I decided to paint it black. (Thanks to Dad for all of his how-to consulting!) And after one week of extensive late nights (that was really the only time I could do it without worrying about the kids) it is finally done! Once we got it into position in our living room, though, we realized that we don't have room for our entertainment center, so that and the TV have been sitting in the garage for almost a week awaiting some lucky buyer who wants to be their new owner, and we are now on the lookout for a really cheap flat screen. Anyway, I absolutely love it and can't wait to have it tuned once we get back from Thanksgiving! Oh, and yesterday I was looking at Craigslist again just to see if I could find any other deal out there that was as good as this one (which I haven't) and I found someone selling this exact same kind of piano for $1000! That makes all those late nights and $50 of painting supplies all worth it! Thanks again to my sweet husband for all of his work and patience and for giving up his TV for a couple of weeks! Here are the before, during, and after pics.

BEFORE

DURING

AFTER


I had to get a picture of these knobs because they're one of my favorite parts. (Thanks to Trisha for telling me about her friend who used glass knobs on her old piano, too.)

2 comments:

lindson said...

I really love your piano, Jess! You guys did such a good job, you've inspired me to try it myself someday when I don't have neighbors pounding on the ceiling. :)

Eagar Fam said...

I'm so excited that we ran into each other! I love the newly painted piano, it's beautiful with the black color. I have an old Italian upright my bro-in-law gave me...that was before I knew how to play; needless to say that was the motivation to start taking lessons from a gal in my ward. I have been playing a little over 2 years now but need to get back into the lessons, I took a break to have Brooklyn and now it's just so busy.
I wish I could refurbish or repaint mine; though it's an antique...it's an eyesore!
Your blog is cute!